Monday, February 9, 2009

Reasons To Run...

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." -Jesse Owens

As a child and teen, gymnastics was my drug... I lived for the sport and my teammates were my family. However, being judged and scrutinized for a bent leg here or a flexed foot there took a toll on my young body & mind. Gymnastics is subjective, there's no denying that.

When I run, the only thing that judges me is me. The clock is there, ticking away, but one can chose to ignore it and simply run for the feeling. I love the runner's high, how else could someone run for hours on end and finish with a smile, feeling as if no time has elapsed?! And nobody can doubt the clock or a rank.

Whether you run to race, or you run for the feeling, there is always a way to challenge yourself. If I wake up without the desire to get on the road and run, I lace up my shoes and get out there anyways. As I take my last breath and push my limits after the run, I almost always feel glad that I went.

These feelings and sensations go for non-runners too, it is called the zone. Anyone can attain the zen feeling of the 'zone'. When everything else escapes your mind and you become completely present in the moment and the energy that you are expending.

I run for the zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment