Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Running for a Reason

A classmate's comment brought to mind an experience which I would like to share... When I decided to run my first marathon at 20 I was not a runner, at the time 3 miles on the treadmill was a challenge and I still remember the day when I reached 5 and celebrated with a big bowl of ice cream! After a few months of training I lined up at the start, my goal simply to finish... The first 8 miles passed without a thought, but as the miles increased so did the negative thoughts that were invading my brain. One specific moment sticks out in my mind that carried me to the finish... I looked around me as I passed one of the wheelchair racers, and I looked at him as he pushed with all his might, a look of pain mixed with serenity on his face. Right then and there I knew I would NOT give up, I thought to myself that there was reason I was given these 2 powerful legs and it was to run with all my might and never give up. That man's determination inspired me to finish the marathon and inspires me to push myself harder every time I hit the road. I am thankful to have been blessed with a body capable of running wild, and I will never forget this.

1 comment:

  1. Some people cry at weddings and I cry at races! It is so inspirational to watch people crossing the finish line, knowing all that they have put into training. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete